|“||A suppressed version of the L115A3[sic] firing a smaller cartridge. Suffers from reduced velocity, but feeds from a 10 round magazine, with middling firerate.|
|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Weapon Class||Sniper Rifle|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 41|
|Damage||80 → 70|
|Range||30 max → 115 min|
|Hip Accuracy|| |
|Sight Accuracy|| |
|Magazine Size||10, 11|
|Rate of Fire||45 RPM|
The AWS (Arctic Warfare Suppressed) is an integrally suppressed version of the Arctic Warfare series of bolt-action rifles, designed to cope with the extreme conditions of arctic combat. Since it is designed to use subsonic ammunition, the overall noise when firing is very quiet. Although it is integrally suppressed, the AWS has the same overall length as the AW rifles. This was done by shortening the barrel length from the AW's 26 inches to 16 inches. The user can also replace the AWS barrel with any AW barrel in a matter of minutes.
The AWS is a unique bolt action rifle, as it is equipped with an integral suppressor. Its integral suppressor masks the firing sound significantly while retaining relatively good damage and range compared to a suppressor on other sniper rifles, but it has quite average stats for a sniper in terms of damage. It has the worst damage drop off of all sniper rifles and lower damage compared to the AWM while retaining a similar firerate. The integral suppressor bars the player from using barrel attachments, the trade-off for all integrally suppressed weapons. It is one of the three sniper rifles that have iron sights available as a default optic, the other two being the Mosin Nagant and AWM.
Usage & Tactics
The AWS, like the Mosin Nagant and AWM, suits a more aggressive playstyle, due to its fast cycle rate. Unlike the Mosin and AWM, when shooting, one will not appear on the mini-map due to its suppressor, so if the user misses, they are not penalized as much. Nevertheless, the suppressor still hinders the muzzle velocity of the AWS with velocity being at a reduced 2250 studs/sec, as opposed to the standard of 3000 studs/sec for some in-game sniper rifles, and a lower value than that for others, such as the Remington 700. This means that at longer ranges, the user will have to lead their targets more than usual.
Additionally, like the Mosin Nagant and AWM, the option to use iron sights allows an AWS user to have a large field of view (FOV). However, if the user is looking to use the AWS at longer ranges and if being able to identify targets at range is needed more than a larger FOV, then the PM II, a 10x magnification scope available by default not only for the AWS, but for the AWM as well (however, the AWS comes with an exclusive illuminated PM II) is an option.
The AWS also sports the fastest ADS and second fastest tactical reload only behind the Mosin Nagant, and second fastest RoF out of the sniper rifles, though the AWS also shares these claims with the AWM. This allows the AWS to fill in a more aggressive role as a sniper. Remember, though to reload while it still has some bullets left, because this weapon has a very long empty reload, which can get the user killed if the user do not have a good alternative answer to a threat.
The AWS, like every sniper rifle, is meant to be used at longer ranges and sniping people from a distance. However, due to the AWS's ability to quickly recognize and deal with an enemy, default iron sights and slower muzzle velocity due to an integrated suppressor, the user should find itself more comfortable using this weapon at closer ranges than they would with other sniper rifles such as the Intervention or BFG 50. It should be noted that in recent updates the bullet drop on AWS is reduced significantly, allowing it to be more user friendly. It is still more severe than the other snipers however.
Pros & Cons
- Integral suppressor.
- Fastest in-class tactical reload.
- Fast ADS time for its class.
- Good RoF for its class.
- Highest magazine capacity in-class (10+1).
- 1SK to the torso at minimum range (30 studs).
- Lower-than-average muzzle velocity for its class due to integral suppressor.
- Cannot equip barrel attachments.
- Slow empty reload.
- Worst penetration capabilities in-class.
- Fastest range drop-off in class.
- The AWS used to have a five-round magazine, like the AWM. However, this was changed to 10-rounds for balancing reasons.
- The AWS is the first integrally suppressed sniper rifle in-game.
- The AWS originally had a muzzle velocity of 3000 studs per second, despite being integrally suppressed. This was later reduced to 2000 studs, then later to 2500 studs and then reduced again in version 4.6.0 to 2250 studs per second.
- The default scope for the AWS, the PM II, has an illuminated reticle in the center, while the same PM II for the AWM does not.
- This is due to the rifles using different PM II sights, as explained on its page.
- The AWS has the same iron sights as Kriss Vector, AWM, and the Beowulf TCR.
- The AWS in real life does not actually come with iron sights, however; one would have to mount their own optic.
- Post sniper update, the AWS had its muzzle velocity nerfed but its bullet drop seems somewhat unaffected.<citation needed>
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International_Arctic_Warfare#AWS_.28Arctic_Warfare_Suppressed.29
|Personal Defense Weapons|
|Light Machine Guns|
|Designated Marksman Rifles|
|▲ Test Place ● New ■ Re-Added ★ Featured Article|