|“||A modern semi-automatic bullpup Russian sniper rifle with a high rate of fire, but lacking stopping power at range.|
|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Weapon Class||Sniper Rifle|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 38|
|Damage||60 → 50|
|Range||120 max → 200 min|
|Hip Accuracy|| |
|Sight Accuracy|| |
|Magazine Size||10, 11|
|Rate of Fire||150 RPM|
Designed in the early 1990s, the OTs-03 SVU (Snayperskaya Vintovka Ukorochennaya, Sniper Rifle Shortened) more commonly known as the Dragunov SVU was the result of a modernization project of the SVD (Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova) Sniper rifle and was developed into a bullpup design. It uses an integral suppressor and fires the 7.62×54mmR round. It is usually fitted with a 10-round detachable box magazine. 20 and 30-round ones do exist, but these ones are less common. The weapon was developed for the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs, manufactured for security needs. The weapon was originally going to become the successor of the famous Soviet SVD, but the manufacturers realized that they would have to completely alter the mechanism if they were to implement a bullpup design, and therefore, the SVU was created. It was designed and fitted with an integrated special muzzle brake (which is not accounted for in-game), and most of the items on the SVU have been modernized versions of what's found on the SVD rifle.
The regular SVU has the same barrel length as the regular SVD, 62 cm. However, the SVU-A, the fully-automatic version of the SVU, has a shorter barrel, at 52 cm. The model used in PF is the SVU-A model without the fully automatic capability.
The Dragunov SVU is essentially a hybrid between a sniper rifle and a designated marksman rifle. It has a high magazine capacity for a sniper rifle, however, it is somewhat low for a typical DMR, and the same goes for its rate of fire (RoF). The Dragunov SVU has a monstrous damage output, it can kill an opponent with one shot in the torso at close range and a two-shot-kill (2SK) at longer ranges, but it can one-shot headshot-kill at a medium range, up to 120 studs. Additionally, a headshot hit of the Dragunov SVU will deal up to 90 damage at long range and it will likely eliminate the opponent most of the time. However, this is balanced out by also having extremely low mobility for a DMR.
The Dragunov SVU, by default has the red illuminated typical Russian scope (red variant of the PSO-1 Scope) with a rangefinder and a representation of a 1.7m tall man bullet drop calculator in the bottom left.
Due to its high vertical recoil, rapid shots are difficult with a higher-power scope unless you can get a headshot. The Dragunov SVU has a lower RoF than similar weapons such as the SSR, so players still need to be extra careful and take time for aiming; a muzzle brake is highly recommended. This weapon can be used at medium to long range to protect objectives or wipe out other snipers. The Dragunov SVU can fill a more offensive role because of its high damage and great headshot multiplier, which makes it easier to kill people if the player is accurate.
Usage & Tactics
The SVU should be considered a different weapon in its own right. While it has the semi auto features of a DMR, the low RoF, high damage and a default 7x scope make it very much of a "sniper" rather than a "counter sniper".The SVU's one-shot headshot range is not bad, dropping off at 120 studs, like the SCAR SSR. Compared to other DMRs, and its main competitor, the SSR, the range on the higher end of its class.
The SVU has good power at range due to a 2SK at any range. As well as this, the 7x optic pays off somewhat, along with a 3000 stud/s muzzle velocity. However, the low ammo reserve and low Rof make it lack versatility, unless the user can gets his shots on an opponent in CQC very efficiently. Spamming is also a big issue, as while the max fire cap is easy to reach, the recoil makes follow-up shots go above the user, unless the player can let the recoil settle back down.
Due to a lack of versatility and being a "sniper" type weapon overall, long distance sniping maps like Desert storm allow for the SVU to potentially find its play style with the user, because of the CQC potential along with long range engagements in a partially enclosed, but overall open environment. While the 7x optic is reliable, using a medium range optic (ACOG Scope, M145 etc.) makes the SVU slightly more versatile, as the user has the ability to have better aim-down-sights (ADS) accuracy with a lower magnification optic in CQC.
The SVU can be considered a sniper/counter sniper/DMR hybrid, and can very easily engage enemies at medium to long ranges. Despite being fairly outclassed by the DMRs and other snipers at a quite a few aspects, it can still hold its ground against them, no matter the skill of the player.
Pros & Cons
- High damage - capable of a one-shot-headshot kill up to ~164 studs
- Highest ammunition capacity in-class - tied with the Dragunov SVDS, and AWS (10 rounds).
- Highest RoF in-class.
- Fastest reload time in-class.
- Scoping out is not required after firing.
- High recoil while firing spammed.
- Cannot 1SK to the head at long range.
- The SVU's default scope seems to be modelled after a PSO-1 Scope, but functions as if it were a PKS-07 scope. This is because the scope in-game is 7.5x zoom, and the PKS-07 is a 7x time scope which is close to the in-game zoom level.
- The model used in-game is the SVU-A model, which cannot fire in fully-automatic mode.
- In real life, the gun has a built-in muzzle brake. This is not factored in-game and the gun currently has relatively high vertical recoil when stock.
- For balance reasons, the weapon's headshot multiplier was reduced from an initial value of x2 to x1.8.
- Alongside the AUG A1, G36, and SFG 50, the Dragunov was one of four non-sniper weapons that had a scope by default. This was also the first non-sniper to feature a default scope.
- As of update 4.0.0 the Dragunov is no longer a DMR and is reclassified as a Sniper Rifle.
- The Dragunov has folding iron sights which are unused in-game.
- The SVU in-game used to have an integral suppressor and was unable to attach barrel attachments. However, this integral suppressor has since been removed.
|Personal Defense Weapons|
|Light Machine Guns|
|Designated Marksman Rifles|
|▲ Test Place ● New ■ Re-Added ★ Featured Article v • t • e|