|“||A magazine-fed semi-automatic .50 BMG rifle. Lethargic handling, reload, and mobility with very high damage.|
Big whoop, I've got a Barrett .50 cal. I could kill a building.
|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Weapon Class||Sniper Rifle|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 170|
|Damage||98 → 88|
|Range||50 max → 150 min|
|Hip Accuracy|| |
|Sight Accuracy|| |
|Magazine Size||10, 11|
|Rate of Fire||80 RPM|
The Barrett M82, formalized by the United States military as the M107, is a semi-automatic anti-materiel sniper rifle firing the .50 BMG cartridge. It can also accept the .416 Barrett cartridge. Designed in the 1980s, the M82 was first sold in 1989 to the Swedish Army. However, the M82 wasn't accepted officially by the United States military until 2002, where it gained the M107 designation. Before that, it did see use during Operation Desert Storm.
Multiple changes were made from the M82 to meet the U.S. Army requirement for the M107 program. For example, the M107 is lighter than the standard M82 by five pounds (2.25 kg), it has a longer accessory rail, a socket for a mono-pod and a rear grip. The M107 also features a more advanced recoil reduction system.
The M107 is a very high-damage sniper rifle, comparable to the Hecate II and BFG 50, and able to perform a one-shot kill (1SK) to the head and torso at any distance. Range, although somewhat on the lower end for its class, does not affect the 1SK profile of the weapon. Muzzle velocity is excellent, at 3000 studs per second; this results in the M107 having a very fast time to kill (TTK) like most sniper rifles, but in particular, a faster TTK at longer ranges with a larger 1SK area. Rate of fire (RoF) is fairly fast, at 75 RPM, and as a semi-automatic weapon, a user does not need to stop aiming in order to cycle a bolt, although firing at the maximum firerate results in very harsh recoil.
Following on, its recoil is extremely high. The M107 has the largest recoil values of any weapon in-game, with walloping vertical kick and camera recoil. Other handling traits are also poor, such as weapon swap speed, walking speed and ADS speed. Furthermore, the hipfire spread is quite high and reload times are comparably slow to other weapons, with a tactical reload of 3.9 seconds and an empty reload taking 5.4 seconds to complete.
Usage & Tactics
The M107 is a long-range sniper rifle, designed to take out single targets with extreme prejudice. By no means is the M107 a hit-and-run sniper—the poor mobility and overall slow handling traits of the weapon make it a poor choice for more aggressive combat, and the poor recoil control and large spread from the hip make panic-firing at a nearby enemy almost completely useless. Instead, the M107 is best used as a defensive weapon, designed for the sniper who prefers to set up in a position overlooking long sightlines or objectives and assisting their team. However, the weapon still suffers from harsh recoil and its slow handling traits reduce the M107's effectiveness at taking out multiple targets within a short time span, despite the high RoF. The weapon's recoil can be somewhat reduced with grips and a Muzzle Brake for vertical recoil, or a Compensator for lateral recoil, which makes it easier to handle.
Due to the weapon's lack of close-quarters-combat (CQC) potential, it is recommended to carry a powerful CQC secondary, which will make up for the M107's poor performance up close. Weapons such as the MP1911, Serbu Shotgun, MP412 REX or any other secondary weapon a player is comfortable using are effective back-up weapons. It is also imperative that the user is aware of their surroundings and makes sure to be not be caught off guard if possible.
While the M107 packs an impressive punch and fires relatively quickly compared to other sniper rifles, it is by no means an easy-to-use weapon. The extremely heavy recoil, slow movement speed, and poor handling make the M107 a tough beast to handle. Other 'heavy' sniper rifles will provide better recoil control and mobility, however, all of this being said, it can be extremely deadly, but regular practice is necessary to effectively use the M107.
Pros & Cons
- 1SK to the head & torso at all ranges.
- Semi-automatic as opposed to bolt-action.
- High RoF, tied with Steyr Scout.
- High magazine capacity, tied with Dragunov SVDS, Dragunov SVU and AWS.
- Second-highest penetration depth in-game (10 studs) (the SFG 50 with Armor Piercing has 15 studs)
- Slowest walk speed and ADS speed in-game.
- Long weapon swap time.
- Extreme recoil with slow recovery.
- Slow reload.
- The M107 is the fourth weapon chambered in .50 BMG to be added to the game.
- The M107 is unlocked at rank 170, with its unlock number somewhat matching its designation. This can also be seen in other weapons such as the AK47 (rank 47), AK103 (rank 103), and M231 (rank 123).
- This makes it the second highest-ranked unlockable weapon in Phantom Forces.
- The M107 uses the same default sniper scope reticle as the Intervention, the M200 scope.
- The recoil of the M107 in-game is much higher than the other .50 BMG weapons in-game, even though this is not true in real life as the recoil reduction and muzzle designed for this weapon are very effective. This change was done for balancing purposes.
- The M107 can be considered as a spiritual successor to the M82 from the alpha.
- Technically, the M82 and the M107 are the same. The M107 designation is the American military designation, while the M82 is simply the name it was given by Barrett. It is possible to convert an M82 to M107 standard.
- The M107's description contains a reference to Archer. The line is slightly changed to comply with Roblox's language limitations.
- The M107 in-game doesn't have a bipod, which the sniper usually has as an attachment in real life.
|Test Place (6 June 2019)||Switch time reduced to 1 second.
Firerate reduced to 55 RPM (was 200 RPM).
Firerate increased to 70 RPM (was 55 RPM).
Aim speed increased to 7 (was 5).
|Personal Defense Weapons|
|Light Machine Guns|
|Designated Marksman Rifles|
|▲ Test Place ● New ■ Re-Added ★ Featured Article v • t • e|