|“||A traditional club carried by police officers and private security alike. Fast swing speed with middling damage.|
Welcome to my DEATH MACHINE, interloper!
A side-handle baton, better known as a nightstick, is derived from the tonfa. Unlike the tonfa, however, a nightstick is usually used on its own, rather than as a pair. Nightsticks are commonly seen on police and riot control forces. Most of the time, nightsticks are simply used as a compliance tool, and as self defense for the carrier.
In many cultures, the nightstick is synonymous with law enforcement, especially the side-handle batons.
The Nightstick is very much a middling blunt melee weapon. With moderate attack speeds and moderate damage, it is essentially stuck in the middle of the one hand blunt archetype.
Usage and Tactics
Much like any other melee, use it for mobility with a heavy weapon, or use a blind corner to ambush an enemy that won't be able to register where their assailant is in time for them to react.
The Nightstick, true to its history, tends to not be lethal in most situations. For a more lethal one hand blunt weapon, one only need look at its collapsing cousin, the ASP Baton.
Pros and Cons
- Good mobility.
- Short attack delays.
- Low damage.
- The weapon's animations were changed during the New Year's update.
- It used to be held by the long piece of the handle, performing "poke" attacks. This is similar to its presentation in games like System Shock and Deus Ex Invisible War. Holding the nightstick in this way had far less of a chance of causing lethal injuries.
- The new animations are considered more realistic to "lethal force" applications. Right clicking has the weapon spin around on the small perpendicular handle of the weapon, a common tactic to build up more kinetic force.
- This weapon is well known to be associated with law enforcement, as they were known to use nightsticks to control rowdy suspects.
- They also have gained notoriety amongst kung fu enthusiasts due to the way they are used by Jackie Chan in the movies featuring them, By holding the baton on it's small perpendicular section, it becomes a arm and wrist guard that protects everything up to the elbow and can pummel opponents with the end of the handle with punches.
- The weapon's description references the game System Shock.
|▲ Test Place ● New ■ Re-Added ★ Featured Article|