|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 120|
|Damage||20 → 18|
|Range||48 max → 125 min|
|Hip Accuracy|| |
|Sight Accuracy|| |
|Magazine Size||7, 8|
|Rate of Fire||180 RPM|
The Franchi SPAS-12 (Special Purpose Automatic Shotgun-12) is an Italian combat shotgun manufactured by Luigi Franchi S.p.A from 1979 to 2000. It is capable of semi-automatic or pump-action operation with it being designed primarily as a semi auto but having the pump action firemode used to reliably fire low-pressure ammunition such as tear gas rounds.
The SPAS-12 was intended to be a rugged military combat shotgun, hence its name. In 1990, Franchi renamed the shotgun to Sporting Purpose Automatic Shotgun for continued sales to the United States as a limited-magazine-capacity, fixed-stock model until 1994 when the Federal Assault Weapons Ban was introduced. By the time the Federal Assault Weapons Ban had expired in 2004, Franchi had ended production of the SPAS-12 in 2000 to focus on the production of the SPAS-15.
The SPAS-12 is a high rank semi-automatic shotgun. Damage is fairly low for a shotgun, with a maximum damage of 20 and minimum damage of 18 per pellet. However, it is still capable of dealing a one-shot-kill (1SK) up close. Range is above-average, with damage beginning to drop off at 43 studs and stopping at 125 studs - its minimum range value being quite good for a shotgun. Its rate-of-fire (RoF) is slightly above-average for its class, at 180 RPM - slower than other semi-automatic shotguns like the Saiga-12 or DBV12, but higher than any of the pump-action shotguns such as the KSG-12.
Unlike the Saiga or DBV-12, the SPAS-12 lacks a box magazine, instead having a typical tube magazine where shells are loaded individually. This does mean one can fire the weapon before finishing a complete reload but reloads take longer to perform. Its capacity is average, at seven rounds plus one round in the chamber.
Usage & Tactics
The SPAS-12 performs well in closed environments. Being out in the open with the SPAS-12 hinders the user's chances to successfully engage targets at longer ranges. The weapon is most effective when flanking the enemy at close range or attacking capture points at close range. As reloads take longer to perform, it is recommended to reload behind cover or switch to a secondary.
By default, it comes with the stock folded, which obstructs the user's vision immensely. As an alternative, the player may use the attachment Extended Stock to use the rear flip up sight instead. In addition, using any optic will unfold the stock. Like with most other shotguns, the SPAS-12 supports an alternative aim position above the default optic.
Given its good 1SK range, a suppressor should be avoided, as it will further increase the spread and decrease the damage. Using a Muzzle Brake can help the user with the strong vertical kick of the shotgun. Other recoil reducing attachments like the angled grip, stubby grip, or the green laser can help make follow up shots easier and rapid. The laser, vertical, and other hipfiring attachments will make CQC easier with hipfire, cutting out the extra second it takes to aim at the target, potentially winning the firefight.
The SPAS-12 has a very limited range but adding attachments such as Flechette rounds can increase the range. Other attachments that increase sight accuracy like the Muzzle Brake, Angled Grip, and any sight (other than the VCOG 6x Scope) can make the SPAS-12 somewhat sufficient at long range and can kill in relatively few shots out to 150 studs.
In conclusion, the SPAS-12 performs best in CQC situations. However, when compared to other semi-auto shotguns, it can reach out to much further, even to an extent where it can compete against pump-action shotguns and stevens DB equipped with flechette or birdshot. That is made even more impressive by the fact that all of this is with the normal buckshot only.
Damage Table for Ammunition Attachments
|Hitbox for Birdshot||Range|
|Max (42 studs)||Min (90 studs)|
|(x1) (x24 pellets) Head||27 (648)||23 (552)|
|(x1)(x24 pellets) Torso||27 (648)||23 (552)|
|(x1)(x24 pellets) Arms and Legs||27 (648)||23 (552)|
|Hitbox for Flechette||Range|
|Max (42 studs)||Min (90 studs)|
|(x1) (x8 pellets) Head||27 (216)||23 (184)|
|(x1)(x8 pellets) Torso||27 (216)||23 (184)|
|(x1)(x8 pellets) Arms and Legs||27 (216)||23 (184)|
|Hitbox for Slugs||Range|
|Max (35 studs)||Min (90 studs)|
|(x1.8) (x1 pellet) Head||162||103.5|
|(x1.5)(x1 pellet) Torso||135||86.25|
|(x1)(x1 pellet) Arms and Legs||90||69|
Pros & Cons
- Good RoF for its class.
- Can use Extended Stock attachment by default to make its default iron sights less obstructive.
- Can reload cancel on partial refill, unlike magazine-fed semi-auto shotguns.
- Highest velocity of all shotguns at 2000 studs/s.
- Rapid damage output.
- Slugs ammunition enables a 1SK to the head at all ranges.
- Obstructive Iron Sights.
- Inconsistent pellet spread.
- Long reload when empty.
- High unlock rank.
- Easy to oversample the RoF.
- The SPAS-12 in-game has an 18-inch barrel with a muzzle device at the end already, likely being a choke device.
- The SPAS-12, with Slugs, is the fastest firing weapon that can 1SK to the head at any range.
- Previously, with the implementation of the M107, the SPAS-12 would be beaten out by its 200 RPM, but it was then reduced to 55 RPM, leaving the SPAS-12 in first place.
- The SPAS-12 has the highest rank unlock for the shotgun class, at Rank 120.
- Unlike its real-life counterpart, the SPAS-12 in-game lacks a pump-action mode, however, the weapon is correctly pumped after an empty reload.
- The pump-action mode would be used for firing ordinance that would normally not allow the weapon to cycle, such as less-than-lethal rounds, so not pumping the weapon unless it was empty is actually standard operating procedure with normal buckshot.
- In real life, the SPAS-12 has a charging handle located on the shell ejector, which could be use to load up the weapon like other semi-automatic shotguns.
- The SPAS-12 was originally in the alpha stage of Phantom Forces. It was removed when the game transitioned into its beta.
- The weapon was developer-only, so a regular player would have never seen it unless a developer was in the server.
- The M41A Pulse Rifle from the Alien movie franchise features the SPAS-12's handguard and slide-action sleeve, which forms a part of the rifle's unerbarrel grenade launcher.
- The SPAS-12 famously appeared in the movie Jurassic Park, most notably in the scene where character Robert Muldoon says 'Clever girl...' shortly before being attacked and presumably killed by the velociraptors.
|Primary Weapons||Assault Rifles|
|Personal Defense Weapons|
|Light Machine Guns|
|Designated Marksman Rifles|
|▲ Test Place ● New ■ Re-Added ★ Featured Article v • t • e|