|“||A Finnish bolt-action rifle. Higher-than-average velocity with a fast reload, but slow bolt chambering action.|
|Weapon Type||Primary Weapon|
|Weapon Class||Sniper Rifle|
|Rank Prerequisites||Rank 84|
|Damage||80 → 60|
|Range||105 max → 170 min|
|Hip Accuracy|| |
|Sight Accuracy|| |
|Magazine Size||5, 6|
|Rate of Fire||40 RPM|
The SAKO TRG-42 is a bolt-action sniper rifle designed in 1999 by SAKO, a Finnish firearms company owned by Beretta Holding and has been in production since 1999. It is a part of the larger TRG series of rifles first designed in 1989, with the TRG-42 being an upgraded variant of the older TRG-41, both being designed to fire larger rifle calibers such as .300 Winchester Magnum and .338 Lapua Magnum. It is also the primary competitor to the British Arctic Warfare line of rifles and its derivatives in the high end sniper rifle market.
The TRG-42 is a somewhat unusual sniper rifle in that it has a higher than average velocity for its class, at 2850 studs per second, while featuring a small magazine and a slower firerate. It makes up for this by having a very fast tactical reload time, the fastest in class. Inversely it has a very slow empty reload time. However, the TRG-42 takes time to cycle its bolt, longer than many other sniper rifles, resulting in an effective firerate of 40 RPM. It also has a strong vertical kick, which makes following one's bullet trajectories a challenge. The TRG-42 also has a rather generous one-shot kill (1SK) torso range at 105 studs.
Usage & Tactics
The TRG-42's closest equal is to the AWM. Both rifles feature a five round magazine, and similar damage ranges. Both rifles are bolt-action. However, compared to the AWM, the TRG-42 sacrifices fire rate for velocity and precision. A TRG-42 player cannot fire as rapidly as faster sniper rifle users can, as the TRG-42's bolt cycling rate and effective fire rate is barely faster than the Intervention at 35 RPM. This may make it a hard sell for some players, as the Intervention features a larger magazine and a higher muzzle velocity of 3200 studs per second. However, the TRG-42 is a relatively light sniper rifle in terms of weapon handling. Unfortunately, the TRG-42 is not a mobile weapon, as all other sniper rifles ignoring the .50 BMG rifles and the Intervention have a higher walkspeed than the TRG-42. However, players that are conscious of their ammunition count are rewarded with a fast tactical reload, meaning that the TRG-42 can keep up a volley of sniper fire with minimal downtime.
The TRG-42 sacrifices mobility, leaning towards a more distant and defensive playstyle. However, the TRG-42's overall handling makes it a snappy sniper rifle, something the heavier snipers cannot attest to.
Pros & Cons
- Clean iron sights.
- Above-average muzzle velocity for its class.
- Long damage drop-off range.
- Good scope steadying duration.
- Quick tactical reload, best in-class.
- Access to Sidewinder ED scope.
- Small magazine capacity for a sniper rifle.
- Below-average minimum damage for its class.
- Long empty reload time for its class.
- Low movement speed for a sniper rifle.
- The iron sights on the TRG-42 are MBUS flip-up iron sights.
- The iron sights on the in-game representation of the TRG-42 are not the standard iron sights used on the TRG-42 in real life, and are actually ineffective for long-range as in real life the sight radius is about as large as a typical handgun's iron sights.
- In real life, the TRG-42 has a dedicated iron sights system offered by SAKO, with a ring mount sight mount at the end of the barrel and an adjustable rear sight mount on the rail.
- The smaller versions of the TRG-42, the TRG-21/22, are chambered in the 7.62x51mm NATO round .
- SAKO does not offer a white chassis for the TRG line. They are offered in Black, Green, Tan and Dark Earth.
- This is the same case with the AWM.
- Only a civilian competition custom model of the TRG-22 variant is offered in white camouflage, and not plain white.
- The TRG-42's reload animation is a sped-up version of the Hecate's.
|Personal Defense Weapons|
|Light Machine Guns|
|Designated Marksman Rifles|
|▲ Test Place ● New ■ Re-Added ★ Featured Article|